Fearless racing in conjunction with South Coast Endurance, VR Cycling Studio and Team Marsh is proud to host a Poker ride taking place in The Woodlands, Texas on April 11th. The event is a fundraiser for Amy Marsh, a central figure in the Texas triathlon community who is battling cancer. This is a great opportunity to ride the Ironman Texas bike course, while supporting Amy and Brandon Marsh.
The ride is FREE, but participants are encouraged to consider making a donation to Team Marsh to help off-set the medical costs incurred during Amy’s cancer fight. This can be done before or after the event. Refreshments will be provided at the finish. Donations for the BBQ and beverages will go to Amy and Brandon.
Following the ride, Ben Hobbs (aka The Real Starky) will emcee a live auction that will benefit Team Marsh. Items to be auctioned include many fantastic products and offers from Amy and Brandon’s sponsors and much more. Raffle drawings will take place during the post race festivities and tickets can be purchased and will be considered as donations. 100% of money collected goes to Amy and Brandon.
Texas based professional triathlete Amy Marsh wasn’t expecting anything out of the ordinary when she went in for a routine blood test after a summer season spent training in Flagstaff, AZ and racing abroad. However, a few oddities in her results led her doctor to request more tests. On December 23rd, the 4-time Ironman and 2-time Challenge winner was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), a fast-developing cancer of the blood cells.
As a triathlete, Amy knows about the endurance and patience needed to finish the long race, and that is what she intends to do in her fight against cancer. To combat the disease, Amy and her doctors are acting quickly and she has completed two rounds of chemotherapy at Seton Hospital in Austin. She will continue on her regimen, but her doctors have indicated that she will need a stem cell transplant. She and Brandon will soon shift to MD Anderson in Houston for this treatment.
What is a Poker Ride?
- Riders sign up to ride as an individual (we understand you’re freakin’ out about now with IMTX just around the corner) or as a 4-person team. We highly encourage everyone to put a team together!
- You will ride the route used for IMTX but in the reverse direction minus section in The Woodlands.
- Riders will collect playing cards at three stations throughout the course (these will double as refueling/aid stations). 1 card at start, 3 at intermediate stations, 1 at finish. Upon completion the rider or team with the best 5 (five) card poker hand is determined the winner.
- There are no prizes for speed. It does not matter who is first to complete the course. It is not a race. Awards will go to the individual or team with the best poker hand.
- Those interested in being timed should wear a watch, GPS or smartphone and use Strava to track time and see how you stack up.
Start/Finish at VR Cycling Studio on Tamina Rd. (please read about parking below)
Saturday, April 11thFirst Riders Roll at 8AM
All riders will start at VR Cycling Studio on Tamina Rd.Teams will be provided with a map of the course of course (limited signage will be out on the roads).Teams will start at timed intervals (time trial start) to allow for adequate spacing out on the roads.Team will be competing in a team time trial and are allowed to draft off one another.Teams are encouraged not to draft off another team.
Teams are not considered finished unless at least 3 team members have reached the finish.Individual riders will start the route before the first teams.All riders will need to sign in and fill out mandatory waiver prior to start.
There is extremely limited parking available at the start/finish and in the neighborhoods on Tamina Rd so please plan to park off-site and ride to VR Cycling Studio with your friends or teammates.
Looking for a teammate(s): Let us know and we’ll help match you up as best as possible depending on the pace you’d like to ride.
Communication: If you have questions or are interested in supporting this event, please contact Lars Finanger.
Join the Fearless FUNdo to Benefit Team Marsh Facebook Group.